The town of Weston, Massachusetts lies just to the west of metropolitan Boston. Its beautiful homes, abundant open space, and innovative public schools offer an exceptional quality of life.
Weston’s public schools are regarded among the best in the nation. School and class sizes are kept small to promote a healthier learning environment. Field School, for example, serves only the fourth and fifth grades. The Weston Education Enrichment Fund supplements the regular school budget with generous donations from members of the community.
There are a number of very active organizations in Weston dedicated to land stewardship and maintaining the character of the town. They work in tandem with the Massachusetts Community Preservation Act, keeping decisions on conservation and sustainable development local and democratic. The Weston Land Trust and Land’s Sake are both nonprofit corporations devoted to responsible land management, ecology education, and the preservation of open space. The Weston Forest and Trail association also protects conservation land as well as promoting its recreational use, ensuring affection and respect for Weston’s natural treasures. Since water from the Quabbin Reservoir flows through Weston on the way to Boston, a great many people directly benefit from Weston’s conservation efforts.
The town of Weston dates back to September of 1630 when the settlement known as Saltonstall Plantation officially became Watertown. Watertown originally included what are today Weston and Waltham, as well as portions of Lincoln, Cambridge, and Belmont. The church was the nucleus of civic as well as religious life in seventeenth century Massachusetts. As early as 1694 the farmers of far western Watertown were petitioning for autonomy, frustrated by the great distance between the church and their homes and fields. In 1712, the western precinct of Watertown was incorporated as the town of Weston. In 1721 a magnificent church of solid oak was built. In 1800 the church was renovated, giving it a new steeple and two porches. A new bell was commissioned from smith and patriot Paul Revere, who also took the original bell off their hands. This church was demolished in 1840 when the current one was built, inheriting the Revere bell.
Weston grew and thrived on the great Boston Post Road which connected the cities of Boston and New York. Several taverns operated here, where travelers could enjoy their ale outside the suffocating Puritan atmosphere of Boston proper. The Golden Ball Tavern, built in 1750, survives today as a museum of the era of the Revolution. Throughout those days, Weston was a hotbed of political activity, where the Sons of Liberty and Tories drank and plotted in taverns just yards away from each other. The question of tea or coffee was a political one in those days. The intensity of revolutionary sentiment in Weston was such that, upon hearing of it from his spies, General Gage decided to head for Concord instead.
|Oil||(800) 433-1616||Atlas Glen-mor|
|Internet/Phone/TV||(800) 837-4966||FiOS - Fiber Optic|
|Waste Disposal||(800) 338-3867||Located in Newton|
|Waste Disposal||(781) 899-2350||Weston Transfer Station/ Town Dump|
|Landscaping||(617) 527-5611||Full Service Landscaping|